Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Snowbird Rock and Blues Festival

I don't want to unduly disturb anyone, but I think that it's possible that my children are actually growing up! This weekend we went up to Snowbird for the Rock and Blues Festival courtesy of my parents (our anniversary present!) and had a genuinely fantastic time. The bands were great and Ruthie Foster was amazing - I've been a fan of hers for a long time and it was so fun finally seeing her perform live.

But as great as the bands were, even Keb Mo and Ruthie Foster couldn't compare to the fun of just hanging out with my family in the mountains. We got the boys activity wristbands and concert wristbands (it was a little like The Magicians Nephew watching them consider which wristband to show at each entrance) and let them go! I'll admit that I was nervous about it at first, but they were astoundingly responsible and kept their commitments to check back in with us every 30 minutes or so at the festival. They'd come in, listen to a few songs, and then go back out to the bouncy castle or rock wall - it was a whole new adventure in parenting for us and it felt great to trust our big kids to look out for each other, do what they said they were going to do, and come back when they promised.

I think we all enjoyed some quiet time (or as quiet as life with two boys can get) with each other. It was a really fantastic weekend. Oh, and two major milestones - the first was that Sam rode down the Alpine Slide at Snowbird all by himself (and he also rode up the ski lift to the slide alone... man, if that doesn't get a mommy's heart a-pounding, I don't know what does! He looked so little suspended 30 feet above me!) The funny part about Sam riding the Alpine Slide was how slowly he went - Steve and I usually attack the slide full-throttle, so it was more than amusing to watch him putter down the track. Oh well, I guess I'd rather that his first few solo slides were taken at a reasonable pace anyway.

Ben's major milestone was perfecting his bungee-trampoline front flip. He is such a little monkey! Steve and I are seriously considering enrolling him in Freestyle Aerials camp at the Olympic Park next summer!

Needless to say, after such a fantastic weekend it was hard to drag myself in to work on Monday... why are weekends only 2 days long? Good thing there's one at the end of nearly every week.

1 comment:

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

wow... how fun!! What a great weekend... I've been following your blog for a while and have it listed on my favorites... and I just thought I'd post a message and say HI... and tell you about our blog... www.gobblefamilyadoption.blogspot.com... and invite you to be apart of our latest fundraiser... an adoption cookbook... please submit a recipe in honor of your baby girl... check out the blog for details... and thanks for allowing us to follow your story...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails