Monday, May 16, 2011

Tasty Mercies

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me[, I was a frazzled new parent who lacked energy to cook or even pour milk on cereal and you made lifesaving casseroles for me].’
Over this past week, we have been the recipients of extraordinary kindness in its most natural form - food.  Apparently we don't hide our overwhelmedness as well as we think we do, because our small group sensed our need and banded together and made us fabulous dinners all week in response to WanYing's surgery.

I think that the sweetest thing about this week has been that we didn't really need looking after.  I mean, it's not like Steve and I both had hand surgery; there's nothing impeding us from preparing food for our family... but we're working hard as parents right now - good work, but hard work - and not having to worry about dinner has been such a blessing.

We have also learned the our friends cook way better than we do.

This is one of those times where we are blessed and grateful to suck up our pride and accept the help of friends.  We don't deserve this kind of love, and that leaves us all the more grateful.  Thank you, small group!

If you have newly adoptive parents in your life, don't believe them when they say everything is fine and they don't need any help!  They are working hard to redefine their family and teach their new child(ren) what family means.  They are excited to welcome their little one home, but like most new parents they're also tired and overwhelmed.  Remove one source of stress from their lives and love on them with dinners!

1 comment:

ryteitdown said...

I could not agree more. My family was also blessed with meals after I had Evie. The first meal was had was brought by a lady from my church that I barely knew. I burst into tears at her kindness in providing for my family because of the bond we share in Christ. We continued to receive meals for three weeks while I got back to my old self. You are so right... providing something simple such as dinner is an amazing blessing. I am so glad that you have awesome people in your life that realize how awesome you really are... even though you're not Wonder Woman after. :) Loves!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails