Monday, August 10, 2015

A Bicycle Built for Two

Remember yesterday when we said that the always-correct answer to the question, "How many bikes do you need?" is "one more"?

Well, we lied.

It turns out that this week's answer was two more. Or, if you're counting by number of seats, three!

That's right, we took the leap and invested in a tandem!

This being our first tandem, and one is never sure if one's marriage will survive the tandem cycling experience, we started with a used Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo in great condition and we're thrilled with it. We took it out for 30 miles this weekend and had a ton of fun and very few near-death experiences. We'll call it a success.

Tandem cycling definitely makes for some quotable conversations. Here's just a quick taste of all the fun you could be in for if you, too, decide to put your life in the hands of your spouse!

Steve: What the heck are you doing?
Jamie: Oh, yeah, I forgot that if I stop pedaling, you do, too.
(repeat this conversation about 300 times with both of us forgetting repeatedly that our feet move together)

Steve: Wait. If I have to spit, is it going to go on you?
Jamie: Dunno. Only one way to find out!
(never fear, it didn't)

Steve: Coasting. Stopping.
Jamie: Trusting. You know I say that so you don't forget that if you don't balance us I'm going to die.
Steve: Yeah, I got it.

Jamie: Don't forget, I'm the one the cars are going to hit first!

Steve: With you on here, it's like I have a tailwind all the time!

Steve: If you're not nice to me, I'm going to fart.

Overall I have to say that we're a darn good tandem couple and are learning to communicate better and better on the bike. We don't panic unnecessarily and are always ready to laugh at ourselves, both of which I'm thinking are necessary attributes of a tandem pairs. Steve is letting the whole "Captain" thing go to his head a bit, but since he gets hit with bugs in front and I don't as Stoker, I'm calling it an even trade.

The best thing about the Periscope is that it's super duper configurable. It's a little large for me as Captain but doable, and Ben and I had a blast riding 10 miles for snow cones with him as Stoker. He didn't like the lack of control (it's a disconcerting feeling) but we made it there and back safe and sound and had a darn good time.

Sasha's thrilled that she's big enough to ride as Stoker as well, so I see lots of girl rides in our future.

And I'm proud to report that our garage no longer has room for any cars. I believe this is a clear sign that our priorities are in exactly the right place.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails