Phase 1: Decisions
- Spring 2010 - Consider bringing another child into our family. Research countries, seek out waiting child programs
- Late April 2010 - Telling family and close friends about our decision to adopt
- Late April 2010 - Intense agency research and interviews with agencies and parents who have adopted using each agency on our short list
- May 3, 2010 - Decided on WACAP and sent in application - paperwork collection begins
- May 9, 2010 - Announce our paper pregnancy!
Phase 2: Paperwork
- May - Mid-June 2010 - Attempt to get an abuse clearance from Kazakhstan since Jamie "lived" there for 2 months in 2009. After roughly a million attempts, decide that it's the impossible dream.
- May 22, 2010 - Copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses sent to Maryland for verification
- May 31, 2010 - Verified copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses received from Maryland
- July 2, 2010 - Final homestudy interview with Families for Children - homestudy done!
- June 7, 2010 - Education hours completed
- July 7, 2010 - I-800A application sent to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
- August 20, 2010 - I-800A fingerprinting appointment at USCIS (45 days after application)
- August 25, 2010 - I-800A pre-approval
(50 days after application, 5 days after fingerprinting)
- August 26, 2010 - Send all documents to Utah Lt. Governor office for verification
- September 4, 2010 - All verified documents received back from Utah Lt. Governor office
- September 4, 2010 - Send all documents to U.S. Department of State and then Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C. for authentication (sent via courier who does both authentications)
- September 20, 2010 - paper-ready! All documents back from Department of State and the Chinese Embassy! Sent documents to WACAP for them to send to CCAA (Chinese Center of Adoption Affairs)
- September 23, 2010 - WACAP sends our dossier to China
- September 30, 2010 - Logged In Date (LID) from CCAA indicating that they have received and done initial processing on our paperwork (LID received 10/14)
Phase 3: Pursuit
- October 19, 2010 - receive info about Wan Ling and pray, think, research, ask for updates, and seek medical guidance
- October 22, 2010 - Submit our Letter of Intent to adopt Wan Ling!
- October 27, 2010 - Receive Pre-Approval from China (5 days after Letter of Intent was submitted)
- December 9, 2010 - CCAA (China) issues Letter Seeking Confirmation (LSC) (just shy of 7 weeks after Letter of Intent was submitted)
- December 17, 2010 - I-800 application received by USCIS (remember, we already got pre-approval) and DS-230 sent to U.S. Consulate in China
- December 17, 2010 - we return signed LSC
- January 4, 2011 - USCIS issues provisional approval of I-800 (18 days after application was received)
- January 14, 2011 - USCIS sends approval to U.S. Consulate in China (received notification on January 19th)
- February 7, 2011 - U.S. Consulate issues Article 5 letter for delivery to CCAA (delayed because of Chinese New Year)
- February 9, 2011 - we apply for Chinese visas
- February 22 - CCAA issues travel approval (13 days after Article 5 was delivered))
- February 23 - U.S. Consulate appointment confirmed for 23 March!
Phase 4: Travel!
- March 8-10 - Flights to Beijing (please don't remind me that our flights spanned 3 calendar days!)
- March 10-13 - Sightseeing in Beijing
- Evening of March 13 - Fly to Nanchang
- March 14 - Meet WanYing and begin custody
- March 15-17 - Sightseeing in Nanchang and getting to know ourselves as a family of 6!
- March 18 - Fly to Guanzhou
- March 19 - WanYing's medical exam for her U.S. visa
- March 20-22 - Sightseeing in Guanzhou
- March 23 - WanYing's U.S visa interview
- March 24 - Pick up WanYing's U.S. visa
- March 25 - Travel to Hong Kong
- March 26-28 - Sightseeing in Hong Kong
- March 28 - Depart for Salt Lake
- Early in the morning March 29 - Home! The real adventure begins :)
Phase 5: Home Again!
- April 14 - One Month a Morningstar
- April 22 - Certificate of Citizenship Received (24 days after returning home)
- May 9 - WanYing's hand surgery to separate the fingers of her right hand
- May 14th - Two Months a (Chatty) Morningstar
- September 14th - Six Months a Morningstar
- March 14, 2012 - One Year a Morningstar!
- March 14, 2013 - 2 Years a Morningstar
- March 14, 2014 - WanYing's Third Gotcha Day